Saturday, August 31, 2013

Why I Want to Travel the World



Please excuse the long hiatus that I have taken from writing on my blog. It isn't that there hasn't been anything to write about, but rather, that too much has been happening. Rather than catch up, though, I think I'm just going to start anew...

I am planning a very, very long trip to several continents and various countries. There are a bazillion travel bloggers out there - RTW bloggers are the best: people who travel instead of stay put; have worked out how to earn a living off their blogging in order continue said lifestyle. Or! People who just chose to take a year or so off to travel in between full time jobs.

I love the idea of making money by traveling, to travel. However, I am not so good at making money outside of an office - I have to be whipped to care about earning money. I hate to limit myself, so perhaps it will change; but, I am not going to expect something to shift that "feels" so fundamental. Then again, maybe I'm completely wrong about myself.

I'd like to find out.

So! I've decided to head out on a trip of contemplation by travel through Puerto Rico, Colombia, Peru, the Easter Islands, New Zealand, Bali, Vietnam, Thailand, Burma, Turkey and Greece. (NOTE: this is still a list in motion - if you have any ideas, let me know!!) I want to visit UNESCO World Heritage Sites and World Wonders. Get scared; get lost; get sick. Get excited; find beauty; heal my cynical, burned-out mind.

Maybe all that will happen. Who knows. The best thing about heading out into the unknown - for me - is that my mind hasn't a clue! So, it has to loosen up and start absorbing information like a sponge again; like a child.

There are endless lists and tasks associated with what I'm about to do, but that doesn't scare me - 20 years as a litigator means I don't scare easily when it comes to information, organization and a little hard work.

Some of the tasks are unusual, or at least nothing any other traveler might put on their list: reading Suzuki's "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" and Thic Naht Han's commentaries on the Diamond Sutra. Not my usual Theravada cup of tea, but I'm ready to change my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment